MENU

INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY

The Western Visayas Medical Center first saw the light of day in 1940 as an emergency hospital. That World War II facility was located at the Doane Woody Building in Lapaz, Iloilo City, under the able hands of Dr. Severo Hervas. He was succeeded as Officer-in-Charge by Dr. Dionisio Alburo in 1942. Under Dr. Alburo’s administration, a lot was donated by benevolent Mandurriaonons, enabling the hospital to transfer its operations to its present location in Q. Abeto St., Mandurriao, Iloilo City on May 12, 1950. The hospital was inaugurated as the Iloilo Provincial Hospital (IPH) with Dr. Alburo as the Hospital Chief. From then on, the hospital saw the change of hands in leadership as well as the varying contributions of the following Chiefs of Hospital -- Dr. Jose Roxas (1952-1965), Dr. Inocencio Aparicio (1965-1966), Dr. Teodoro Motus (1966-1970), Dr. Juana Jardiolin (OIC, 1970-1971), Dr. Alberto Cabrera (1971-1974), Dr. Arturo Ardeña (1974-1993), Dr. Galileo Pabalinas (OIC, 1993), Dr. Emilio Cadayona (OIC, 1993-1994), and Dr. Jose Mari C. Fermin (1994-present). Read More