The Department of Anesthesiology was once under the Department of General Surgery as a subspecialty. In the mid- 1970’s, it became a separate department with an equal status as the other Departments of the Iloilo Provincial Hospital which was later upgraded to Western Visayas Medical Center.
In 1988, through the efforts of four residents and 4 Consultants headed by its Chair, Dr. Jose Mari C. Fermin, the Philippine Board of Anesthesiology accredited the Department as Training and Teaching institution. The Resident-Graduates are then qualified to take the Philippine Board of Anesthesiology written, oral, and practical examinations. Once these examinations are passed, the examinee can be conferred as Diplomate and until recently changed to a Fellow of the Philippine Board of Anesthesiology.
Since 1988 until the present, the accreditation was preserved. From five residents and four consultants in the late 1980’s, the number rose to 11 residents and 11 consultants. The surgical cases attended by anesthesiologists increased substantially from about 350 cases per month to about 500 cases per month.
The acquisition of modern Anesthesia equipments and supplies greatly improved the quality of anesthesia care. The thrust of the Department is to keep up with the new trends of anesthesia management. With God’s grace and support of our Superiors, this is not impossible to achieve.
To make the Department of Anesthesiology as the best residency training center in Western Visayas.
- To maintain the accreditation of Anesthesia Training Program by the Philippine Board of Anesthesiology.
- To provide affordable and highest quality of anesthesia care to all patients regardless of socio-economic class.
- To contribute in the increase of income of Western Visayas Medical Center by means of effective and efficient Anesthesia management.
Services Offered/Perioperative care for:
- MAJOR GENERAL SURGERY (OPEN)
- MAJOR GENERAL SURGERY (MINIMALLY INVASIVE)
- MINOR/AMBULATORY SURGERY
- ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY 20
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE FOR CARDIAC AND NON-CARDIAC SURGERY
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH PULMONARY DISEASE FOR MAJOR/MINOR SURGERY
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH RENAL DISEASE FOR MAJOR/MINOR SURGERY
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH ENDOCRINE DISEASE FOR MAJOR/MINOR SURGERY
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS WITH NEUROLOGIC DISEASE FOR MAJOR/MINOR SURGERY
- NON-OBSTETRIC SURGERY DURING PREGNANCY
- HIGH RISK PATIENTS FOR MAJOR/MINOR SURGERY (CRITICAL CARE/ICU CASES)
- PEDIATRIC SURGERY (NEWBORN - 12 YRS.)
- OBSTETRIC PROCEDURES
- VAGINAL DELIVERIES AND LABOR ANALGESIA
- OTORHINOLARYNGOLOGY 7
- NORA (NON-OPERATING ROOM ANESTHESIA) DIAGNOSTIC
- NORA (NON-OPERATING ROOM ANESTHESIA) INVASIVE
- REGIONAL ANESTHESIA (PERIOPERATIVE)
- PAIN MANAGEMENT