BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT OF RADIOLOGY
It was in 1950 during the inauguration of this hospital, Iloilo Provincial Hospital (former name of Western Visayas Medical Center) when the X-ray service, as the only diagnostic modality, became operational and available to the public. The department was under the management of Dr. Pablo Parcon.
Dr. Fortunato Gomez, Jr. became the first chairman of the Department of Radiology in 1978. The Ultrasound examination as an additional diagnostic modality started in 1985 under his administration.
In 1991, the Philippine College of Radiology (PCR) has granted the department full accreditation of its training program.
There was a change of chairmanship in the Department of Radiology in 1996 and was headed by Dr. Andres A. Bayona, Jr., who remains as the chairman up to the present.
The first radiotherapy facility for cancer patients in the whole region of Western Visayas using the Cobalt-60 machine became operational in 1997. The facility stopped its operation in 2014 due to lack of its Cobalt supply.
In 2003, the Department has added another diagnostic modality to its list which is CT scan service using the Schimadzu Single Slice Helical CT machine.
The department adapted the use of digital X-ray machine in 2016 for almost a year under a Public-Private Partnership program.
In 2017, an MRI machine and Digital Mammography study have been added to the list of modalities available in the department.
To promote cost effective and quality health care diagnostic imaging and therapeutic services to the people of Western Visayas.
- To provide training opportunities for their medical and technical staff for professional advancement and continuing education.
- To obtain the most modern diagnostic and therapeutic service and training.
A Radiology Department equipped with state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic equipment manned by compassionate and committed personnel in order to achieve quality health care services.
- National Conventions under Philippine College of Radiology
- Annual Conventions
- Mid. Year conventions
- International Conventions
- European Society of Radiology
- Local Conventions and Conferences
- Philippine College of Radiology Panay Chapter Annual convention
- Battle of the Brain- PCR Panay chapter
- Interdepartmental conferences
- Interdepartmental Tumor Board conferences
- Mortality and Morbidity conferences
- Monthly Medical staff meeting
- Intradepartmental conferences
- CT/MRI rounds
- MRI didactics
- Residents’ didactics
- Research presentation
- Case Report Presentation